It is a sad fact of life that at some stage in their lives, most people will have some type of dispute with another person or a company.

We understand that for most people, legal jargon is not what they want to hear at such a stressful time.

We provide clear, honest advice in plain English so that you can easily understand the options available to you before you reach a decision.

This will help you to reach the right decision for you, in the particular situation that you are facing, and help keep the stress levels to a minimum.

We can help you with the following matters:

  • Property possession claims
  • Property disputes
  • Contractual disputes
  • Landlord & tenant disputes
  • Money claims

Property possession claims

“Are you one of the lucky ones?”

One of our luckiest clients had a property that was rented out to a succession of tenants for over 46 years without any need to take possession proceedings against any of the tenants during that time.

However, when that run of good luck came to an end, he contacted us and we were able to obtain vacant possession of the property for him using the Accelerated Possession Procedure.

When possession of a property needs to be obtained, there are two ways of doing this. Click on the link below to find out more about both of these options:

Apart from dealing with the court proceedings for possession, we can also advise as to the correct type of notice to serve. For example whether you should be using a notice under Section 8 or Section 21 of the Housing Act 1988.

Whether you are a landlord with one property or dozens of properties, we have the specialist expertise to help.

Property disputes

The law relating to property in this country is based on some rather ancient law and customs. Sometimes this can lead to disputes between neighbours. For example, boundary disputes as to the exact location of the boundary between two properties.

In these types of disputes, our experience is that it is best to have a specialist surveyor with expertise of boundary disputes carry out a site inspection and then prepare an initial report as to what the surveyor finds from the Land Registry plans and any other deeds that can be found.

We can also help with arguments about the ownership of a property. Often this is when friends or family members buy a property in their joint names. Unfortunately, if the amount of each person’s share in the property has not been set out in a Declaration of Trust at the beginning then problems can arise.

Contractual disputes

Most people believe that a contract needs to be in writing and has to be signed before it can be binding. However, the courts take a different view. As far as the courts are concerned, a contract can be entered into verbally. It can be proved by looking at the discussions between the parties as well as any emails, invoices or letters and what actions they have taken in carrying out the contract.

Some of the types of contractual disputes we have dealt with include:

  • Disputes with builders
  • Disputes with someone supplying goods to you
  • Disputes with someone providing a service

Landlord & tenant disputes

Whether you are a landlord or a tenant, if you have a dispute we can help you.

For a landlord, it may be that you have a tenant who is causing nuisance to neighbours or other people in the area by playing loud music, or by trying to operate a business from residential premises.

For a tenant, it may be that the landlord is being very restrictive and preventing you from using the property in a reasonable way.

We will look at your lease or your tenancy agreement and advise you as to what the rights of the landlord and the tenant are in relation to the disputed points.

Even with the best drafted leases there can sometimes be disputes between the landlord and tenant as to what they are each required to do under the terms of the lease.

There can also be disputes about the payment of service charge or the amount of service charge and the amount payable for the buildings insurance contribution.

There can also be disputes about the state of repair and condition of a building. If there is damage to a door frame or window frame, does this have to be repaired by the tenant or the landlord? The answer normally depends on the exact terms of the lease.

Money claims

Does somebody owe you money?

You may have lent money to a friend or a family member. If they have not repaid you the amount of the loan then we can advise you as to the options available to recover the money.

One of the earliest points that needs to be looked at is whether or not the person who owes you the money has any assets or income against which any judgment that we obtain for you could be enforced.

Obviously you do not want to spend time and money obtaining a Court Judgment if it is unlikely that you will be able to recover the money from the defendant.